You can transfer your existing phone number into GoSmart Mobile when you activate your account with us. Just let us know you want to keep your number when you activate. You can also transfer your number from another carrier as part of a mobile number change.
Original Service Provider Information
You'll need to have the following information handy from your original service provider when you activate:
- Your account number (you can find this on a bill or by calling your original service provider)
- PIN/Password (this helps us protect your account and prevent someone not on the account from transferring your number)
Not all numbers can be transferred. Below are examples of numbers that are not eligible for transfer:
- Disconnected or non-working numbers
- International numbers
- Toll free numbers (with 800, 866, 877, 888 prefixes)
- Numbers owned by service providers who have opted out of the number portability process
Transferring your number requires an unlocked GSM-capable phone and two simple steps.
- Purchase a GoSmart Mobile SIM kit online or from a retail location.
- Activate at a retail location or by calling Customer Service to determine if the number is eligible and request the number transfer.
Transfer timelines vary and depend on the type of service you had with your original service provider. If you had postpaid service with your original service provider, the transfer can take between two and 24 hours. If you had prepaid service, the transfer can take between 24 and 72 hours. If you are unable to make and/or receive calls on your new GoSmart Mobile account after the time above has expired, contact Customer Service.
When you transfer your service to GoSmart Mobile, you will experience a period of dual service, which typically lasts no longer than 24 hours. You will need your service with your original service provider during this time, so do not cancel it.
Both your old and new phones will be partially active, allowing you to make outgoing phone calls on both but only receive incoming calls on one; therefore, carry both handsets until you receive a text message stating the number transfer is complete. If you dial 911 during this time, tell the operator your exact location in case of a dropped call. You will not have access to voicemail on either phone and must reset it once the number transfer is complete.
When the transfer of your phone number is complete and your GoSmart Mobile account is active, you will receive a text message welcoming you to GoSmart Mobile.